More than a Word...
As you look through our website and spend time around Southern Hills you will hear a lot about the Gospel. The Gospel is a key part of who we are and it is a central part of our purpose statement. The Gospel is something we talk about, preach about and sing about. The Gospel is far more than a word to us; the Gospel is what makes us who we are and the Gospel is where we find our identity.
What is the Gospel?
The word "Gospel" literally means "good news," but for us there is a lot more that needs to be said about the Gospel. The Gospel is the life changing message that God sent His Son, Jesus, to earth to live and to die on a cross for the sins of the world. The Gospel also teaches us that Jesus rose from the dead to claim victory over death and sin. Jesus came to earth and died on the cross so that people like you and me would have the chance to be forgiven of our sins. He paid the penalty of sin that we owed. That is the Gospel. That is the "good news."
What does the Gospel mean?
While you may be familiar with the message of the Gospel, maybe you have never understood the impact of the Gospel. The Gospel message is one that literally changes every aspect of life for those who accept it.
- The Gospel means we can have hope
- The Gospel means our broken relationship with God has been restored
- The Gospel means we have been freed from the power of sin
- The Gospel means we can know and experience God's love and grace
- The Gospel means we can receive forgiveness
- The Gospel means we can have eternal life
- The Gospel means we can enjoy God for all eternity
- The Gospel means our faith is not in vain
- The Gospel means we can pursue God and and live a life that pleases Him
In light of what the Gospel means it seems like a bit of an understatement to call it "good news." The Gospel is life-altering news! It is eternity-shifting news! Once you have accepted the Gospel nothing will ever be the same in your life!
If you have never experienced the power of the Gospel we would love to help you understand it more fully. The Gospel has changed our lives and we desire to help other people experience life change through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That's what Southern Hills is all about.